Chapter Leadership & Legislative Retreat Travel and Expense Policy:
- Attendees who have been pre-approved by their chapter board will be reimbursed for hotel and travel (per the noted travel regulation). Medium and large chapters can have up to five (5) approved attendees and small chapters can have up to four (4) approved attendees for reimbursement.
- Session/event attendance at CL&LR will determine the attendee’s deductible. The following are eligible to be counted toward reimbursement: (1) All concurrent sessions; (2) Bonus Session for Chapter Leaders; (3) Canadian Chapter Session; (4) Capitol Hill visits (two visits count as one option).
- $375 deductible – attend a minimum of four options
- $500 deductible – attend a minimum of three options
- Attendees who fail to meet the minimum attendance requirements for the two deductible options will not be reimbursed for hotel and travel expenses.
- Corporate Board members who have been pre-approved by their chapters to represent their chapter at CL&LR will be eligible for a $375 deductible if they attend a minimum of three options.
- All attendees must sign in to breakout sessions to receive credit for attendance. To receive credit for Capitol Hill visits, return Capitol Hill feedback forms to Beth Gulding. These forms are available at the Retreat and online.
- Airline tickets must be coach fare, non-refundable with a 21-day advance purchase. Tickets within a 21-day window will be reimbursed at the average 21-day fare for that route. Attendees should utilize alternative local airports (IAD, DCA or BWI) if by doing so the airfare savings is $300 or more. If a flight is greater than 1,000 miles, an attendee should use connections if the savings from doing so is $300 or greater.
- Chapter Executives are approved for 3 hotel nights at the contracted room rate (including taxes). Other chapter leaders/participants are approved for 2 nights at the contracted room rate (including taxes).
- NAIOP will reimburse for one checked bag per attendee.
Hotel and Travel
Hotel and Travel
1001 16th Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20036
Book a reservation in NAIOP’s room block at the Capital Hilton.
- The Capital Hilton is offering a special rate of $254 single/double, exclusive of taxes. The discounted rate will be offered until Monday, January 14, 2019, or until the room block has been filled, whichever occurs first.
- To book a room at the Capital Hilton, call the toll-free number 1-800-HILTONS (1-800-445-8667) or call the hotel directly at 202-393-1000. Ask for the special NAIOP rate of $254 single/double, exclusive of taxes. You may also book online using NAIOP’s direct booking website.
- A deposit equal to one night’s stay is required to hold each individual’s reservation. Should a guest cancel a reservation, the deposit will be refunded if notice is received at least 72 hours prior to arrival. Name changes to room reservations may be made up to one day prior to arrival at no additional charge.
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Distance from hotel: 5 miles; drive time: 20 minutes.
Washington Dulles International Airport
Distance from hotel: 25 miles; drive time: 45 minutes.
Distance from hotel: 30 miles; drive time: 1 hour.
To learn more about transportation options to and from the Capital Hilton website.
Valet parking is available for $60 per day. There is no self-parking at the hotel. There are nearby garages within walking distance.
Average February temperatures in Washington, D.C., range from an average high of 47 degrees to a low of 30 degrees.
Capitol Hill Day
Capitol Hill Day
Download the Legislative Visit Feedback Form
Wednesday, February 6
We encourage every chapter to take advantage of the opportunity to meet with your respective representatives and senators to voice NAIOP’s legislative concerns on critical issues. NAIOP will provide materials and education on the issues most pressing to our association and industry during CL&LR – but first you need to schedule your appointments.
Use the following checklist to schedule a meeting with your Congressional representatives:
First week of January:
- Have a constituent from the representative’s home district request an appointment with your Representative or Senator by contacting their scheduler. Typically, you will be asked to email a letter requesting an appointment. List all constituents who will attend and the main issues you wish to cover. If your elected official is unable to participate in the meeting, ask if they would be available for a photo opportunity afterwards. An example letter is provided for your use.
- Follow-up with a phone call to the official’s scheduler within one week. If the elected official is not available, ask to meet with the staff that is responsible for covering our priority issues.
Week of January 21:
- Confirm any outstanding appointments.
- Notify NAIOP of your scheduled meetings.
Post-meeting, complete the Legislative Appointment Feedback Form and return it to Beth Gulding.
If you need assistance in scheduling your appointments, contact the Government Affairs Department at 703-904-7100.
Capitol Hill Club: A room has been reserved again this year at the Capitol Hill Club for attendees to congregate before, during and after meeting their representatives. A light buffet lunch and refreshments will be served. Luggage may not be taken to Capitol Hill and should be stored in NAIOP’s luggage storage at the Capital Hilton.